Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Remembering Africa

Last night I dreamed of Africa... I find this to be pretty curious as it has been nearly eight months since returning from South Africa. I dreamed that I was in one of the townships that we visited, and even was living there for a while. I think I remember even having conversations with people that I had met in Africa, about the UN project. Perhaps I've been thinking about work too much... but in reality I still can't get over the enormity of the project, it's goals, and the people... as well as how much progress we've been able to make thus far. It's a pretty amazing project and opportunity, which sometimes I think gets lost behind deadlines, scheduling, and milestones. Maybe I'm the only one who may have forgotten a little just how amazing all this is. To think we've traveled to South Africa, spoke at the United Nations in New York, and had our prototype shown to hundreds or maybe thousands (the exact number of people I'm not really sure) attending a conference about the issue in Brazil... It's a little out of this world.

Sometimes we get stuck in a rut, we establish our routine and we go through our "daily grind." I don't know about you but for me sometimes it's like I'm getting stuck behind technology a bit, constantly working and having a sort of disconnect from the world. It's easy to forget people sometimes, and I'm ashamed to say that maybe I forgot the people behind this project for a while... being a little too focused on the here and now... seeing work on the UN project in terms of hours and time management. Saying something like "Oh I can only give you this much time this week," sounds a bit silly and even selfish thinking about who the project might touch. Yet these things we have to do, in order to do such things as graduate college. I guess I'm sort of talking in circles a little... I guess part of the point I'm trying to make is that I hope others on the project can take a moment and remember the people too, and not just the design, the art, and the programming.

While this hasn't always been the forefront of my consciousness, I don't think Africa will really ever leave me. Someday I hope to go back... or perhaps visit someplace else and make some more friends. Experiences like these help us determine who we are and who we chose to be. I know that I'll never really forget Africa.

No comments: