Thursday, September 4, 2008

Not quite re-adjusted but getting there...

So I'm pretty excited, as well as nervous, about this upcoming semester. The classes that I've had thus far have been pretty positive and really I've been excited about my senior production and art seminar courses. It felt really good that I could show both teachers ideas that I've worked on over the summer and in all reality I was expecting to get shot down a little but what surprised me is that I haven't been! In fact they both have been supportive, and I think if I work things right then I'll be able to work on one cohesive project that will coincide with both classes at once. This sort of thing is going to be my friend this semester, with what little time I have between work and school, any consolidation will be a good thing. Although that's not to say that I'm not still nervous about the prospect of all the work I'm creating for myself, and the fact that I keep second guessing if I'm on the right wave length... I'm feeling pretty positive. Also it's been really sort of funny, things the teachers in both classes have asked if we're familiar with, are certain things (or concepts) I've been working with all summer long. It's really nice to see that knowledge gained this summer has already seeped it's way into my other work. So I have a lot of questions in mind about my process, and I've found that I've been venting about it quite a bit. Although I won't be venting about it here, because I've decided that for the most part no one really understands what I'm trying to explain and it's most likely that I'll have to come up with a solution on my own.

Africa is still very much in my mind though... Yet I've been able to find some people I met in Africa through facebook and was actually able to chat with someone I met at UCT the other day, online through facebook chat! It was pretty radical and incredible to think that I was chatting with someone across the world.

One last thought... I've been reading up on globalization (for my history course) and I've made a correlation to globalization in my own life. Just as globalization has enabled businesses to outsource labor and production accross the globe, in a sense globalization has enabled a small college in the woods of Vermont to work on a video game targeted at moral and social issues for young men in South Africa. Sort of funny to think about...

(Just as Globalization has enabled this South African boy to not only know but wear a shirt featuring Disney's Buzz Lightyear on it)

No comments: